How to Prepare for a Degree in Practical Nursing2 September 2015
Nurses are an integral part of community health. Many hospitals are understaffed and nurses are spread too thin which prevents them from giving each patient the full attention that they deserve. This can have a negative effect on patient care and the success rate of hospitals everywhere. The best way to improve the patient to nurse ratio is by encouraging more people to pursue a nursing education.
With a degree and career in practical nursing, you will have the satisfaction of knowing you are saving the lives of people each day. Becoming a nurse is certainly a challenge. A nurse’s education requires dedication and the job is not easy, but saving lives and healing people makes the challenge rewarding.
If you are considering or have committed to the Practical Nursing Program at Pioneer Pacific College, we have five tips for you to prepare yourself for your classes, and a list of essential supplies for success!
Five Ways to Prepare
Mentally preparing for nursing school will be your first step to success. It will be a challenging and exciting journey!
- Be motivated toward success. It can be easy to get discouraged in a new setting, but do not go into nursing school feeling that way! Know that you are there to succeed and that you will succeed! Keep track of each of your accomplishments along the way. Looking back at your list will keep you motivated if you are feeling stressed.
- Be prepared to feel overwhelmed. Your first day of nursing school will be a whirlwind of information, instructions, introductions, and schedules. Know that all of your fellow students are feeling the same way as you are.
- Get excited to jump into the deep end. You will be assigned homework right away, and you will need to be an active participant in your education from the very beginning.
- Acknowledge that you will need support. You should not be afraid to ask for help if you need it! Your PPC instructors are a great resource and they want to help you. Form a study group with your peers. Doing so, will minimize the stress of studying and keep you on track with your assignments. Seek support from friends and family to help handle your personal life.
- Remember to take time for yourself. It can be easy to feel exhausted between all of your commitments. Just remember that you need to take care of you. Find time each week to do something that you enjoy. It will help maintain a healthy life and school balance.
Nursing school requires some essentials for success. You do not need to buy expensive nursing equipment or, “I might need this” items. Instead, focus on the following list to put together all the necessities for your first day of nursing school.
- Medical dictionary
- Up-to-date prescription drug guide
- Medical scissors
- Small pad of paper
- Required texts for classes
Along with these physical items, always be well-rested and ready for a new adventure. Go into class or clinicals each day with a positive attitude and a sense of humor. Approach nursing school with excitement and preparation and you will be ready for an amazing journey each and every day! To learn more about our Practical Nursing program at Pioneer Pacific College, contact us or request more information today.